It’s summertime, and you know what that means… Food Truck Friday! Actually, Food Truck Friday in Phoenix is year-round, but since it’s during lunch time, we can usually only go in the summers.
Twice I’ve had fried ice cream, from two different trucks, and both times it was amazing. And the best news of all, you can make easy fried ice cream at home!
Cereal is my jam, yo. I could eat it for all three meals of the day. Combine cereal like Honey Bunches of Oats with a delicious dessert (um, I don’t know, ICE CREAM?), and you’ve got yourself a pretty great afternoon…or midnight snack…or hey, morning! #idontjudge
Okay, I know you’re just here for the food, so here comes the recipe for fried ice cream. Enjoy it!
Fried Ice Cream
“Fried” Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Almond cereal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place cereal in a medium bowl and lightly crush with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon. Add coconut and chili powder and combine.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil. Add cereal and coconut mixture and fry until it is golden brown and toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop ice cream and quickly form balls with your hands. Place on a small try and immediately return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until the balls are firm.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer and quickly roll each ball in the cereal and coconut mixture. Return to freezer for at least another 30 minutes or until the balls are firm again.
- When ready to serve, combine the chocolate chips, cream and cinnamon in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. If the chips are not completely melted, stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Serve each fried ice cream ball with a drizzle of cinnamon-chocolate.