Hey Shaper-Uppers! I hope everyone is having a great Thursday! I also hope you are feeling like sharing some of your expertise with me, because today I have questions for you!
I’ve been blogging for four years, but it was only in the last 9 months or so that I discovered the amazing blogging community. It was around that same time that I created and uploaded a header. Before then it was just the generic Blogger layout with my blog’s name in the default font.
Since then I’ve had so much fun learning how to make changes to my design/layout, add pages, use some html, what a “linky” is, etc! I’ve had a lot of success finding tutorials and other help online, but here are some of the questions I have remaining, and I hope some of you more experienced bloggers can provide some insight!
1. Feedburner- What is this? I have two (probably from getting my own domain), one with 11 subscribers, and one with 135. Is there a way to combine them? How do you use this, or do you?
2. RSS feed- How do you “follow by RSS?” Is that different from following in a reader, such as Bloglovin’ or Google Reader? What kind of interface is it?
3. At the bottom of Blogger blogs, it says “Subscribe to: Posts (atom).” What does that mean?!
4. Does anyone get their Twitter statuses automatically posted to your Facebook page? I went through all the steps required, but they do not show up!
5. My blog posts (used to) automatically post a link on my personal Facebook page, can you get them to do that on your blog’s Facebook page?
6. How do you know how many email followers you have? Is there a way to customize the emails that get sent?
7. I think I’ve finally figured Twitter out, but my remaining question is how do you know when to use a hashtag, and what phrase to use? I mean, what if I started one for my upcoming link-up and called it #lookbacklinkup, but then other people started using #alookbacklinkup? How do you know what to use and/or if something is already out there being used for the same thing?
8. Where did awesome/awkward Thursdays originate? Are there certain circles of bloggers that do Wordless Wednesdays or WIW Wednesdays, etc, or is it just everyone participating in what they feel like?
9. What sites/programs do you use for stat reports? I have accounts with Google Analytics, which I find very confusing, and Statcounter, which is simpler. Where is the “go to” or most reliable number for your monthly/all-time page visits?
10. How do you decide which blogs to sponsor, and do you sponsor the same blogs repeatedly? I can afford to sponsor 2-3 each month, with one of those being a larger blog and two less expensive sponsorships. I don’t want to offend anyone by not continuing to sponsor them, but I also think there’s benefit to reaching out to other blogs.
Also, if I were to set up ad swaps with Passionfruit ads, and someone went through their system to swap with me, is it then my responsibility to go do the same thing on their website, or since they set up the swap, do they take over the responsibility to add my button to their blog?
11. And lastly, how do you keep up with it all?! I love being part of the blogging community, but it is so HUGE. Every day I’m finding new blogs that interest me, but I can’t possibly keep up with all of them! It’s frustrating because I don’t want to limit what I read/follow, but I constantly feel like I’m falling behind with everything! What is your “system?”
Thanks if you read all this! And I apologize for my pseudo-newbieness. And my weird hand. Any and all answers you can throw my way would help out!