You may have picky eaters (who doesn’t?), but there are ways to get kids to love veggies. Well, if not to love them, then at least to eat them! We have a little girl who loves her veggies, a big boy who will eat them with the right amount of bribery, and a little boy who throws them on the floor. So we have a little bit of experience, and today I’m sharing our tips!
How to Get Kids to Love Veggies (or at least eat them!)
1. Be consistent– If you only serve vegetables once a month, then no wonder they won’t want to eat the strange thing on their plate! If you serve them with every dinner, they will come to expect and accept them.
2. Negotiate (start high!)– We expect our kids to clean their plates, but if we serve something they really don’t seem to like or are in a bad mood, then we’ll settle for a few bites. Encourage them to try new things, but be willing to settle for just a taste.
3. Love YOUR veggies– Be an example and eat your veggies in front of your kids. Even if you’re not a huge fan, pretend to love them!
4. Have a competition– Some kids thrive under pressure, so you might suggest a vegetable eating race, among siblings or between them and you.
5. Mix them in a soup or casserole– When all else fails, hide them!
6. Tell them a story– When our oldest was little, my husband got him to eat broccoli by telling him a story about Alex, a baby dinosaur who ate tiny trees.
7. Reward them– If you have a dessert for them, consider only letting them have it if they’ve eaten all their veggies.
8. Inform them– Make sure they know how GOOD veggies are for them.
9. Dip them– If you kids are condiment-lovers, they may eat anything as long as it’s coated in a healthy dose of ketchup (or blue cheese, ranch, etc)!
10. Add some flavor– Sprinkle on some spices, or buy vegetables that are already infused with flavor.
Speaking of flavor, we’ve been buying Birds Eye Flavor Full to complement our meals. Our kids happily eat them because of the bold flavors that they pair with the veggies, such as their Ranch Broccoli and Buffalo Cauliflower.
We don’t have to cover our veggies with spices anymore, because Birds Eye has done the work for us and made their veggies tasty with all the nutrition that veggies provide! Their veggies are flash-frozen at their peak freshness so you get the highest quality vegetables.
I love how easy it is to prepare the Birds Eye Flavor Full veggies. They come in their “Steamfresh” package, and all you have to do it pop it into the microwave. In a few minutes, you have a delicious, nutritious side dish!
Want to try them for your family, and see if you can turn your little ones into veggie lovers? Right now you can get a coupon for $1.00 off, so make sure to give them a try! Use their product locator to find Birds Eye Flavor Full near you!
And start loving your veggies!