I have been searching for some good summertime recipes lately, looking for some lighter fare. When it’s hot out, I like meals to be easy, light, and quick to clean up!
So today I’m sharing a recipe for Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa Aioli.
If you like an appetizer with some crunch, this recipe is for you! These sweet potato fries are perfect as a party appetizer, family dinner side dish, or just as an afternoon snack! The dip is just the right amount of spicy to give the dish an extra kick.
This would be a great recipe to have the kids help you out. They’ll have fun with all the dipping, and you might try forming an assembly line. Here’s the recipe!
Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- 1 cup crushed Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted cereal
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and sliced lengthwise – about 1 inch wide
- ½ cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red harissa (or to taste)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and then set aside.
- In a food processor, crush cereal until it measures 1 cup.
- Combine ground cereal with cumin and place in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a third shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of water until combined.
- Dip the sweet potato first in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then dip each wedge into the egg white mixture until coated. Finally, dip the sweet potato in the cereal mixture, pressing the exposed surface of the potato into the cereal. Transfer potato wedges onto the prepared baking sheet as you go.
- Bake potatoes until tender and crisp, about 25 minutes, turning once.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, combine the mayonnaise and harissa for the dip. Add additional harissa if you prefer your aioli spicy.
- When the potatoes are done, sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve warm with harissa aioli and sprinkled with chopped fresh cilantro.